Thursday 13 September 2007

Tagging Inventory Items in SL

My inventory in SL is a nightmare, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has trouble keeping it organized. I just sumbitted a feature request to Jira to add tagging support to objects, as seen in Gmail and many other services.
I think a very useful feature that seems easy to implement is to allow tagging of inventory items. By tagging, I mean assigning one or more keywords to objects. This can be seen in many of Google's services such as Gmail. This feature would make it much easier for a resident to find items in his/her inventory, which can be rather difficult for residents with large inventories.

Currently, a resident must either spend a lot of time organizing everything into folders so they can easily find what they or looking for. Otherwise, they need to remember the name of the object they want, which is sometimes hard.

Assigned tags would be transferred along with items, so that people wouldn't have to tag each new item they got, which isn't any better than having to move it into the proper folder. Ideally, the tags would be pre-assigned by the creators and previous owners. This would make it much easier to find specific items. For example, I might have a shirt with "mens", "goth", "shirt", "short-sleeved", "black". If I felt like wearing a goth outfit, I could just look at all the items in my inventory with the "goth" tag. Maybe I want to show off my new tattoo, then I can search for the "short-sleeved" tag. There could also be tags that SL maintains, such as "added to inventory in the last 30 days" or "rezzed/attached/worn in the past 7 days", etc.
If you think this is a good idea, go and vote for it and then spread the word!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Voted! Good God, man, that kind of "simple fix" would be tremendously helpful. It could increase the data storage requirements substantially, but the cost would be offset in many people's minds by tremendously enhanced usability.