Friday 28 September 2007

Robby Wins

I went into the Beta Grid to test the C:SI swords with the new Havoc engine. The following error appears when slashing: "Unable to create requested object - Parse failure." This happened with my Musashi Black Rose and Ashes Cursed Spirit, and Kasumi said it happened with her Archanox sword. However, the Wave Katana didn't produce this error (hence this post's title). Regardless of the error, all the swords could damage another avatar, however only the Wave could do damage to the practice dummy I have, which uses collision detection. Kicks did damage and produced no error messages with all the swords, but they didn't push the opponent. We were in a sim with llPushObject restricted, though.

Jumps are different. You can't move around as much while you're in the air. The effect this has on dueling is that when you jump slash, there is no way to avoid landing right behind your opponent (if they don't move) instead of far away from them like people often do.

For all the swords, the avatar didn't move during a special. They still did damage if someone was nearby, and Kasumi actually managed to hurt herself with one.

There was one bug we found that was hard to reproduce. After dueling, both of us were sunken into the ground. We fixed it by teleporting each other. During the next fight, I sunk so far into the ground that I got stuck in my falling animation and couldn't move. I tried to reproduce this by running around, jumping, and doing sword actions while out of mouselook, but it wasn't happening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, man....

I was afraid there would be large effects, but I'm so so disappointed to be proven right.

I'm in the process of upgrading my drivers, etc., so I can get in-world to test. Failing the "fixing Vista" thing, I'm going to install an Ubuntu partition.

One way or the other I want to get in-world and bug report this stuff and fix what I can work around with.

Thanks for the great info, you guys rock!!!