Saturday 29 March 2008

Mono Listener Performance Update

Time for some updates about SVC-1862, which is the bug I reported concerning listeners performing worse in Mono compiled scripts.
  • It has been marked as relating to SVC-1398, which is about link messages in Mono being 2 times slower. Link messages were something I was going to test myself until I saw that this bug had already been reported.
  • Lee Ludd commented that it might be related to Mono using 16-bit characters instead of 8-bit characters. I ran the tests again using different string lengths to test this theory, and there wasn't any noticeable change.
  • Gordon Wendt says he mentioned it during Linden Office Hours, so hopefully this is something they will look into soon. Still no comments from any Lindens on the Jira page, though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's my after-dinner blood sugar bouncing, but I don't immediately see how the listener problem is related to the linked messages problem, unless it's just that the object's event queue is processed slower/lower priority in Mono?

Colin said...

Yeah, I don't really see the connection. I guess the fact that they both have similar performance problems could point to the problem being in some code they both share.